Revised: 28 October 2014
Influenza Vaccine Composition
The recommended influenza vaccine composition for New Zealand in 2015 is:
- A(H1N1): an A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)-like virus, 15 µg HA per dose
- A(H3N2): an A/Switzerland/9715293/2013 (H3N2)-like virus, 15 µg HA per dose
- B: a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus (a B/Yamagata lineage), 15 µg HA per dose
For applicants intending to submit a CMN or NMA for a quadrivalent influenza vaccine, the recommended composition for New
Zealand in 2015 is as listed above, plus the additional B virus:
- B/Brisbane/60/2008-like virus (a B/Victoria lineage), 15 µg HA per dose.
Vaccine strains recommended as suitable are those listed on the World Health Organisation (WHO) Influenza vaccine viruses
and reagents web pages (see
http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccines/virus/recommendations/2015_south/en/) for H1N1, H3N2 and B viruses.
This recommendation is based on the outcome of:
- the meeting of the Australian Influenza Vaccine Committee, with a New Zealand representative, to consult on the
influenza vaccine composition for 2015 (held on 09 October 2014)
- information on international surveillance by the WHO Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System
- analysis of recent data on epidemiology and strain characterisation
- the recommendations of the WHO annual consultation on the composition of 2015 influenza vaccine for the Southern Hemisphere.