Published: 8 December 2016
Prescriber Update Quiz 2016
Prescriber Update 37(4): 62-63
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Have you been reading Prescriber Update in 2016?
Have you kept up to date with emerging safety signals?
Test your knowledge with the end-of-year Prescriber Update quiz.
Answers to the quiz are available at: www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUPDF.asp
- True or False: A negative blood test for IgE specific to penicillin excludes penicillin allergy in
- Which of the following medicines may cause hearing loss?
- All of the above
- Which of the following statement is false?
- Patients taking medicines that can cause photosensitivity should cover up with dark clothing,
wear a wide-brimmed hat and long sleeved shirts and trousers.
- Patients taking medicines that can cause photosensitivity should use a water-resistant, broad
spectrum, topical sunscreen agent (SPF 50+).
- Photosensitivity reactions typically appear as unexpected sunburn or a dry and blistering rash
on sun-exposed skin.
- Photosensitivity reactions are not expected to be an adverse effect
from the use of the antidepressant venlafaxine.
- Which medicine is least likely to be associated with serotonin syndrome?
- Which group reported the most adverse reaction reports in 2015?
- Hospital doctors
- Community pharmacists
- General practitioners
- Name THREE medicines most commonly reported to CARM because they are suspected to have caused lung
- In patients taking spironolactone with an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEi) or an
angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB), serum potassium levels and renal function should be monitored
regularly. Which of the following is true?
- After initiation and dose increase of spironolactone, ACEi or ARB
- At least ONCE within the first year of starting spironolactone, ACEi or ARB
- Every 3 months
- Monitoring is not required
- Medicine-induced gynaecomastia occurs as a result of which mechanism?
- Decreased testosterone levels
- Increased prolactin levels
- All of the above
- Which of these statements is true?
- HIT only occurs with unfractionated heparin
- Warfarin should be used as first-line treatment for HIT
- Heparin should be avoided in the future in patients with a history of HIT
- HIT always presents with thrombotic complications
- Which of the following statement is true?
- Viekira Pak is used for genotype 1a hepatitis C virus.
- Viekira Pak is used for genotype 1b hepatitis C virus.
- Viekira Pak-RBV is used for genotype 1b hepatitis C virus.
- Viekira Pak-RBV is used for all known genotypes of hepatitis C virus.