Published: 8 December 2016
Prescriber Update Quiz 2016
Prescriber Update 37(4)
Prescriber Update Quiz 2016 – Answers
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Have you been reading Prescriber Update in 2016?
Have you kept up to date with emerging safety signals?
Test your knowledge with the end of year Prescriber Update quiz.
- True or False: A negative blood test for IgE specific to penicillin excludes penicillin allergy in
False. A positive blood test for IgE specific to penicillins is highly
predictive of penicillin allergy in adults, but a negative result does not adequately exclude penicillin
- Which of the following medicines may cause hearing loss?
- All of the above
- Which of the following statement is false?
- Patients taking medicines that can cause photosensitivity should cover up with dark clothing,
wear a wide-brimmed hat and long sleeved shirts and trousers.
- Patients taking medicines that can cause photosensitivity should use a water-resistant, broad
spectrum, topical sunscreen agent (SPF 50+).
- Photosensitivity reactions typically appear as unexpected sunburn or a dry and blistering rash
on sun-exposed skin.
- Photosensitivity reactions are not expected to be an adverse effect
from the use of the antidepressant venlafaxine.
- Which medicine is least likely to be associated with serotonin syndrome?
- Which group reported the most adverse reaction reports in 2015?
- Hospital doctors
- Community pharmacists
- General practitioners
- Name THREE medicines most commonly reported to CARM because they are suspected to have caused lung
Any of the following:
Nitrofurantoin, Methotrexate, Amiodarone, Leflunomide, Docetaxel, Adalimumab, Cyclophosphamide, Clozapine,
- In patients taking spironolactone with an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor (ACEi) or an
angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB), serum potassium levels and renal function should be monitored
regularly. Which of the following is true?
- After initiation and dose increase of spironolactone, ACEi or ARB
- At least ONCE within the first year of starting spironolactone, ACEi or ARB
- Every 3 months
- Monitoring is not required
- Medicine-induced gynaecomastia occurs as a result of which mechanism?
- Decreased testosterone levels
- Increased prolactin levels
- All of the above
- Which of these statements is true?
- HIT only occurs with unfractionated heparin
- Warfarin should be used as first-line treatment for HIT
- Heparin should be avoided in the future in patients with a history of
- HIT always presents with thrombotic complications
- Which of the following statement is true?
- Viekira Pak is used for genotype 1a hepatitis C virus.
- Viekira Pak is used for genotype 1b hepatitis C virus.
- Viekira Pak-RBV is used for genotype 1b hepatitis C virus.
- Viekira Pak-RBV is used for all known genotypes of hepatitis C virus.